Sunday, July 1, 2012

ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF

Somewhere someone has their nubby little fingers on the switch for the light at the end of my tunnel.  Apparently they think it is funny to keep turning it on and off.  I, however, do NOT share their opinion!!!!  In fact if I ever find said person I will pummel the everloving crap out of them.  As I mentioned last post I had two good workouts in the beginning of the week and the light was on.  Friday thanks to Deb and Bonnie I got a 90 min open water swim in.  We went to Stiles Pond after work and Deb and I swam for awhile then just as she had to leave Bonnie showed up and took over.  Thanks to both of them for sticking with me and keeping me company out there.  While my right shoulder pretty much always bothers me once I get into swims over an hour my left one was killing me too after.  I could barely lift my arms to drive home.  I had a suspicion that it was the full wetsuit.  Having my arms covered was making me work too hard. But I got the swim in so the light was still on.  Saturday Kerry and I headed out for yet another epic, long, hot ride.  She had 6 hrs to do and me 5.5.  She did the trainer for 30 mins before we left so we could finish at the same time and run together.  For the most part the ride was uneventful except I still have gearing problems and have to take my bike back to the shop again this week which makes me want to throw the damn thing off of a cliff right now
That bad thing would be my bike right now!!!
I also got bit by a damn greenhead fly.  Those things are viscious.  I have a bruise the size of a quarter on my arm with two teethmarks in it.  BASTARD.  And ugly too!

If only I had a flyswatter
Despite my chain coming off yet again we made it home safe and sound AND HOT.  It was 93 freakin degrees by then.  I rode 92 miles in 93 degree weather. Light still on. Oh great let's go run for an hour now.  As usual we ran towards each other and when we crossed paths headed for Salem Common  because it is mostly shaded.  It also happened to be the headquarters for the Gay Pride parade that day so Kerry and I ran under the rainbow of rainbow balloons and ran a few laps.  Having people to look at kept my mind off how crappy I felt for awhile as did thoughts like "No wonder I can't find a nice guy....they all have their own boyfriends!!!"  and "Wow..that guy is totally rocking that dress better than I ever could!!".I lasted somewhere around 40 mins before the wheels came off and the light went out.  Once again Kerry was making it
look easy while I looked like they should put a tag on my toe and wrap me in a plastic bag.  But once again my friend Kerry the aspiring Kenyan marathoner kept coming back for me.  We have fallen into this routine where I go back and get her while biking and she comes back to get me running.  Of course all my friends have to come back for me while swimming.  WHATEVER.  I hate swimming:)  Anyhow I covered a measly 5.5 miles in that hour which is far below my normal pace.  Once again I was losing confidence.  As soon as I cleaned up at home Quinn and I went to lunch but surprisingly enough I didn't even eat my body weight in food which is what I have been doing lately.  According to all my gadgets I burned 3100 calories during yesterday's workout!!!  As the day wore on and the evening approached I was just burned out and lacking confidence.  I knew I had a 2.5 hr run today that I wanted to start at 4:30 to beat the heat and still have time to head to the pond for my 1:15 hr swim.  I poured out my thoughts and fears and complaints and Quinn listened like the most awesome sherpa and best friend that she is and then gave me the pep talk I needed.  Thank you Quinn.  She knows just when to tell me to deal with it and just when I need reassurance.  Before getting all my stuff ready for the run in the am I checked my email and saw the best thing ever.  I had put a comment to Jeff in my run upload that being tired, not recovered and not running well was killing my confidence.  He told me that I AM tired and he was taking my run off the schedule for tomorrow so he wanted me to just swim and get as much sleep as possible.  Thank you thank you thank you.  Someone turned my light back on.  I felt immediate relief.  So this morning for the first time in months I slept past 3 dark o'thirty.  I went to the pond with Cindy and got in mostly a non-stop 1:15min with my sleeveless wetsuit and felt better.  It was an added bonus to see and talk to Cindy.  After that I went to the beach to meet Quinn but it was too damn hot so we went to Salem Willows and found some shade and I began training again in earnest...by sleeping
Coach's orders
It is nice to have my light back on but I am thinking that could spell trouble too!!!

I am afraid this is the case this week
As I opened up my training plan for next week I couldn't wait to see how much my volume would decrease since a 3 week taper is pretty standard for an IM race.  Unfortunately my coach seems to favor a 2 week taper.  Next week includes 4 days of swimming (one requiring me to swim the whole 2.4 miles!!), 3 days of biking including a 100 mile and 60 mile days, and a 14 mile run thrown in for good measure.  UMM WHAT?  ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?  WHERE IS MY TAPER?????  I think there are some emails to my coach coming up this week.  UGH.  I am pretty sure that light at the end of my tunnel is a train!!!!  Stay tuned


8 comments:

  1. Enjoy your Blogs Deanne. Have been keeping up with you and Kerry. I know you and Kerry can do this. I will be on the computer all day of the race trying to keep track of you both.

    "Mom Murphy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom Murphy!!! Glad you like the blogs. Your daughter has been invaluable to me during this insane training. We both wish you could be there. My family wants to adopt Kerry anyhow so she will have a big cheering section on race day!!!

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear Kerry will have a great cheering section.
      I have Kerry's race number. Hopefully, I can track her on the IM website.

      "Mom Murphy"

      Delete
  2. Seriously, I think there should have been like a pre-nup or something about a 3 week taper period. R u kidden me soo one more full week of this nonsense..I know its not what you were expecting ,but it's what has to be so you are exactly where you need to be on the big day. Thank God to Quinnie, I think she is probably the only one who can handle those situations, she knows you so well and she's the best sister from another mister ever....So just keep trudging along down that LONG tunnel and realize your light it always on (well maybe not mentally) and I believe the shine coming off of that light you carry is immense, intense,powerful and most of all beautiful...I love you sissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-just got a little teary-eyed reading the last line of Sissy Tray's comment. Such beautiful words Tray! Dee seriously I am beginning to get really concerned that your legs may actually fall off and now you have to worry about green flys? Oh dear what next!!! I know that I have said this before but I truly thank God for Quinnie and Kerry-you are so fortunate to have 2 people as amazing as they are. One to help you get through the insane work outs and one for strength and encouragement (and I'm sure a kick in the a** when you need it). So crazy that this is finally winding down for you (well maybe not yet but soon). You are going to be awesome on IM day Dee-you have worked so hard for so long and it's all going to pay off for you! If nothing else I guarantee that you will have the most incredible cheering section!

    Love to all
    Sissy Jack (by the way what is going to entertain us when this is over???)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, Jacki.....in this family?? "It's always something"!! But really, Deanne, you will have to start blogging about work or something, because you are just too good at it to quit. I wish you all the luck in the world as you finish your training and of course on the BIG day....I'm sure the texts will be flying back & forth between Lake Placid & Rochester that day. You are in my prayers every day, as are your "sherpas", Quinn & Kerry. You go, girl....Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dee, being your #1 fan, I say without a doubt, you WILL rock the IM. The gingerbread man on the wall says the same thing. You can't give up now, you've come too far!! Thanks bunches to Quinn & Kerry for being there when I can't be. Hang tough baby girl and stay safe. Love & God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Deanne - you did it. You even having your Mom answering
    your Blog. Now we just have to get Aunt Marge on board and you will slide right through the IM on the Olive Oil trail.

    ReplyDelete