Sunday, July 8, 2012

27 WEEKS DOWN 2 TO GO

Wow.  I have finally reached taper time.  I thought the name of this post was fitting since the first post I wrote about training way back on January 15 was entitled "2 WEEKS DOWN 27 TO GO"!  I also think it is amazing that the amount of hours I put in those first two weeks is still less than what I did this week.  AND my legs are still attached.  YIPPEE.  As I mentioned I was pretty shocked when I saw my schedule for this week since I was expecting taper and what I got was UMMM WHAT??!!!!  I even emailed Jeff and said "Can I do this?", "Will I recover in time?".  Jeff gave the whys and hows and calmed my fears.  He said I do not need you recovered by Monday or next Saturday or even July 21st.  I need you rested and ready to go on July 22 and you will be.  Tapering is a fine balance of losing fitness in order to gain freshness.  I trust him so I pulled up those big girl panties and followed the plan.  Despite being barely out of that flat out tired box I had some pretty good confidence-building workouts this week.  Tuesday with Cindy's company I knocked out a 14 mile run.  I certainly wasn't speedy but for the first time in a few weeks I ran continuously without any walk breaks.  Friday was the biggest confidence booster.  I was going to meet Bonnie after work at Stiles Pond for a swim.  I was supposed to do the entire race distance(2.4 miles) but Bonnie wasn't going to be able to stay that long.  Swimming across the pond by myself was NOT an option and I couldn't really do it any other day of the week so I was a bit distraught.  Thanks to an understanding boss and slow day at work I got out early.  Bonnie and I swam once out and back and then headed across again.  Surprisingly I felt better the second time across.  I was so happy when we were done that I wanted to do a cartwell but A.  I have never done a cartwell in my life and 2.  I certainly am not trying to learn two weeks before the biggest day of my life.  Anyhow I have never even come close to swimming that distance before because I don't have that kind of time at the pool so I was thrilled.  THEN something weird happened.  We had been done for about 5 mins and were just talking in the shallow water when my world started to go fuzzy and black.  Bonnie's voice faded away and I thought "Oh crap I am going to pass out!!"  I quickly walked over and sat on the beach and waited for it to pass.  I felt fine after a few minutes but it was scary.  I think being horizontal so long screwed up my equilibrium.  It is also possible it has something to do with my head bashing from the accident.  Whatever the reason I am hoping that since Lake Placid is a two loop swim that won't happen.  We actually get out of the water and back in.  Saturday I was supposed to do 100 miles on the bike and a 2 mile run.  After spending $150 to get my bike fixed I was anxious to try it out.  It was better but not perfect as the chain came off twice. Kerry kept me company for 2.5 hrs then we got separated because she only had 4 hours to ride.  I actually only did 96.65 miles on the bike because it was raining again and I have had it.  Mother Nature clearly hates me and I was not riding in the rain for a little over three miles just to hit a magic number.  Screw you Mother Nature!!!  My two mile run went shockingly well.  Although my legs felt like they were barely moving and forgot how to run I actually averaged a 9:36 min/mile which is rather impressive for me after 6 hrs on the bike.  So onto today..another 60 miles on the bike.  Kerry had a run so I was on my own here.  The first 30 were tolerable although my legs certainly felt tired.  The next 30 were just flat out torture.  My legs were toast, my back was screaming and my ass and other parts were just flat out pissed off at me BUT I did it.  I am pretty sure when I walked in the house and put my helmet on the table I heard the angels and harps and hallelujiahs.  Or I could have just been delirious.  I made it through breakfast and a shower and then it hit me.  Overwhelming exhaustion.  OMG.  It was horrible.  I had a few things to do first but hung on for a few hours and finally made it to nap time.  Out like a light for an hour.  Other than my back I fell ok now.  Well until I try to stand on these wobbly legs.  Bring on the taper!!!!!!  Only 9.5 hours of training next week.  Stayed tuned this week and next as I have lots of race info to come but I am too tired right now.  847...my number.  Details coming soon on how to follow me race day.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, so I am going to jump on your sissy's bandwagon and say...I am happy that your legs are still attached!!

    I am glad that whatever happened after your swim passed and that you will be OK on race day. Did you read all of the fine print of the race rules? Does it actually state outright that you have to do the swimming portion by yourself? Maybe you could hook a raft onto a really strong swimmer and float along as they do the swimming. Just a thought.

    I am certain that your inner strength (as well as some good words in His ear from Meema, Jimmy and David) will get you through the swimming part and all of the other parts safely on race day.

    847...feels like a good number. I look forward to hearing how I can follow along...

    Love you and keep your spirits and strength up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted your race number. I have Kerry's so now hopefully I can follow you both on the IM website. Will be waiting for your post on how to follow you both.

    Kerry's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanne, You can DITTO Susan's comments for me. You know we will be cheering you on by long-distance since we can't be there in person. Time is really winding down now and I'm glad it's time to taper off and rest up for the main event. I trust your trainer knows his job and has done this before!! Looking forward to the next few posts that will keep us up to date.

    Love you bunches..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just puked in my mouth a little when I read you almost passed out, it better just be nothing......In case I haven't told you lately I am sooo proud of you and can not wait to share the wonderful experience with you....I luv u sissy, time to enjoy the taper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a little concerned with the fact that you felt like that after you swam but am going to try to tell myself that it was the heat and maybe just sheer exhaustion and all will be fine on IM day! Don't worry Dee-if anything crazy happens, I will save you and if not me then Josh will surely step in and come to the rescue! I like the number 847 too! But what I like even better is Susan's idea of you attaching yourself to another swimmer and then you will surely go the distance! Great idea Sus! Anyhoo, no worries Dee you are gonna be a ROCK STAR on IM day and just thinking about it makes me get teary-eyed! Can't wait to see you and Let The Countdown Begin!

    Love u so much and get lots of rest
    Sissy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, so not only did I vomit in my mouth, got shit pains, and wondered why you conveniently failed to tell me about your swimming mishap, I also wanted to hug you and tell you that you WILL still rock the IM. I hope your taper period is working so far. Hang tough, sweetie....I got your back! Love ya' bunches.

    ReplyDelete