Wednesday, July 11, 2012

HOPE, DREAMS, FEARS AND REFLECTION

When I started this blog I really thought it was just going to be about my Ironman training.  It has turned into quite a bit more.  It has become a snapshot of my life over the past 7 months and how despite the fact that you are training for something huge life continues to move on just like normal.  I also had no intention whatsoever of pouring out as much about my emotions as I did.  I mean let's face it....that just isn't me.  I do think that in order to understand the physical training process you had to know the mental process also.  So one last time I will pour out my feelings about this whole adventure until after the race.  I HOPE I finish. I don't care how long it takes as long as it is under 17 hours and I am an official finisher. I have had DREAMS about becoming an Ironman and how it would feel to come into the Olympic Oval with people screaming and cheering, my family there and cross that finish line and have someone say "Deanne Hobba, You are an Ironman".  Somedays it was that thought alone that got me through workouts.  I am confident that I have the physical capability and mental toughness to do this.  What I FEAR  however is the uncontrollable.  Given perfect conditions I can do this.  What keeps me up some nights is thoughts of getting roughed up in the swim so bad that I can't continue or mechanical bike failure or some medical issue that I could not have planned for or avoided.  For all the Ironman success stories there are a few heartbreaking ones about people who had great training but on race day were dealt a card they just couldn't deal with.  That scares the hell out of me.  How will I feel if I don't finish????  Devastated.  I have never dedicated myself to something like this or poured more of myself into something.  Will I try again???  Not sure.  Certainly not right away because I went broke doing this!!!!  I know that I would get over it but I would be most disappointed for you.. for all of you who followed me along this journey and cheered me on.  A part of me would feel like I let you all down.  Now settle down out there before you blow up my blog page with comments.....I know you wouldn't think that.  I just want all of us to have the happy ending to this journey we deserve.  Last week when Quinn was talking me off the ledge she made a good point.  "All you can do is what you can do"  She also said "Look at what you have accomplished already".  So let's REFLECT run on sentence style:) I lost 125 lbs and became an athlete and signed up for an Ironman and a month later crashed my bike and suffered a head injury and spent three months recovering and getting my brain function back to normal and then spent the next seven months training.  I got up mornings when I didn't want to or it was too cold or too hot or I was sore.  I tried my hardest to become a better swimmer and spent hours on the trainer and on my bike and on my feet pounding out the miles.  I rode or ran in sleet, cold, snow, rain, hail , heat, thunder and lightening.  Over 7 months I only cut short 3 workouts and missed no other ones. According to my logs I have biked 2700 miles, run 608, spent 76 hours swimming and 25 hours strength training.   I have been psyched beyond belief after workouts and broken and discouraged to the core after others.  I have experienced physical and mental exhaustion like I have never seen before.  It has been quite a ride and I am very much looking forward to July 22 at 7 AM when that cannon goes off and I start the last leg of this incredible journey.  Thanks for coming with me and I hope you have enjoyed the ride but please keep your hands and feet inside because we aren't quite done with this ride yet peeps!!!

9 comments:

  1. Oh dee you made me cry yet again! I wish there was something I could say to ease your fears and concerns but no matter what I say they will still be your fears and concerns. But what I will say, my amazing sister, is this-you WILL finish this and we will all be at the finish screaming our heads off and cheering for you and all your fellow IMers! If the unthinkable happens and circumstances arise that are out of your control , we already consider you a winner and will be there to pick up the pieces! I feel that it is a most appropriate time to quote my favorite bible verse and hope it will give you inspiration as it has for me many times-'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your path.'
    Love you and will see you in 9 days.
    Sissy jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dear Lord Helen...this was the big one...and first let me say you are sooo lucky you put the comment in there about "now settle down" because as you know I will cut a bitch....hahahaha.What can I say that sissy Jack hasnt already.. you are THE MOST INCREDIBLE person I have ever met in my entire life, I can not thank God enough for giving you to me and also keeping you with me after your accident. I have never seen anyone with so much dedication and strength and endurance as you...you will finish this IM I truely believe it and like Jack said if God forbid something happens, you have to remember you have no control over it and we will always believe in you and love you.... I can not even imagine how you feel right now but put it this way...you have done above and beyond anything you ever thought possible to prepare for this, it is now in God's hands, and he has taken pretty good care of you so far sissy...I love you with all my heart and can not wait to be there and see all your hard work finally pay off.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear daughter. BE STILL AND KNOW THAT HE IS GOD!! Rest easy and all will be well. You are now and always have been an amazing girl. You have always been my rock and I know without a doubt that you will be an IM finisher. St. A's prayer circle has got your back, and you have all my love & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, you know you are a winner to everyone who has followed this blog, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE IRONMAN!! Who else in this very athletic family (HA HA) has every ran a Boston Marathon or a Chicago marathon?? I don't know of anyone who could even do it in their dreams. Having said that, I know you can do this & you've got all of this great family of ours praying for you, no matter where we are....and Meema, Pop-Pop, Jimmy & David cheering you on from above. How could you possibly not finish?? Go do your thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanne, Just want you to know that no matter what, you are already an Ironman to all of us who love you. What you have accomplished in your weeks of training is amazing and we have enjoyed going on the journey with you. You have made it come alive for all of us during these last weeks even while we were experiencing some of the best and worst times in our family. I know that you will finish this race and we will all be better for just having known you and what it took to get you to this point. Know that we are with you every step and stroke of the way. Now, just let go and Let God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's like we're sharing the same brain this week! Seriously, I am having all of the same anxieties and fears of working so hard for something and having some obstacle thrown in my path that I can't overcome. It's terrifying! But Quinn is right. We just have to soldier on and do what we can do. We certainly have had our share of obstacles over the last year and we have persevered. I just hope we'll be getting our "M-Dot" tattoos together in a couple of weeks! And honestly, I could NOT have done this without you! Thank you for being such a great training partner and friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto to all of the above. There is nothing any of us can say now, except that we love you and we are proud of and amazed by you...no matter what. You have shown us what true determination is and what it looks like to not give up. You are already an Iron Man to us, no matter the outcome, although I truly believe that you will go in the books as an Official Iron Man of Lake Placid 2012.

    Good luck to you and know that our prayers and your angels are watching over you. I cannot wait to see pictures and hear the stories from this wonderful weekend.

    Love you,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deanne, you have been a huge inspiration to me through some ridiculous times and continue to do so! I'm having such a shitty day at work and could easily leave right now and get an early start on my weekend, but no, i gotta stay here and pound out some more calls and keep at it all because of you! The unknown sucks, but you have put everything into this so unless you don't show up to the starting line, there is nothing you could do from this point on that would make you anything less than an ironman! (please show up to the starting line :o)!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I am so proud of you, miss you and utterly respect you!!!! You are my HERO! Another thing you can do so well is play the hell out of a trumpet! YOU GO GIRL!
    Tina Keleschenyi Tallyen

    ReplyDelete