Wednesday, July 18, 2012

LAKE PLACID HERE I COME

Hopefully around 5am tomorrow with the car packed to the hilt Quinn and I will be on our way to Lake Placid.  The Ironman people sent me this yesterday
As a matter of fact I am.  My apprehension over this race has been replaced with excitement.  I can not wait to get there.  I know the apprehension will make a comeback closer to race day but I can handle it.  While I am ready Quinn clearly is not.  Look at all the stuff she has to pack tonight
OK....in the interest of full disclosure this is my bed and my crap.  No it is not in neat piles or organized.  It is pretty much all thrown in a heap.  Yes it is Quinn's job to pack it.  Why you ask......because Quinn has this amazing ability to fit 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bag.  I on the other hand need a 20 gallon bag for 10 gallons of crap so it is for the best that she packs for me.  Trust me she is used to it.  In all the years we have traveled together I have not once, ever, packed my own suitcase.  Pitiful I know.  That's what best friends and sherpas are for.  Quinn got a little present yesterday from one of my friends at work.  Included in this awesome basket of post IM celebration stuff she included a post race bag for Quinn containing 6 nips.  Quinn's first question.......are they refillable???. 
I did my last workout here this morning with Cindy. I have a few to do once I get to LP and a pretty big workout on Sunday!!!  We ran 4.5 miles including some track work.  It was 82 degrees and 60% humidity at 4:30 AM.  Ridiculous.  At the bottom of the hill leading up to her house we saw Mom and Pop Turkey with their 4 turkey babies.  When I got home I stepped on the scale and it said I weighed 140.6.  While I know my IM buddies will immediately get the significance for everyone else out there 140.6 is the amount of miles in an IM race.  Bizarre.  I don't think I am really that thin..probably dehydrated from sweating buckets on the run but pretty cool to see that number pop up!!!  At this point when all of us athletes are tapering our focus switches to weather watching.  The hourly forecast for race day is up and given my experiences in training and at training camp in LP I think it looks pretty accurate
Only 2 more hours in the work day and I hope they go by quick.  After a quick stop at the bike shop to pick up my bike it is home to cheer Quinn on while she packs.  GO QUINN!!!!!!!!  I will do my best to post a little something daily while up there provided I can find some free wi-fi so stay tuned.  Thanks to all who have sent cards, sent emails, made baskets, made scrapbooks, gave hugs or good luck wishes.  It means a tremendous amount to have all of you cheering for me and to know you will be following me on raceday!!!

7 comments:

  1. I love the forecast and I am sure it is accurate! I don't see any snow boots in that pile of crap - you better not forget them. Have a safe trip and enjoy everything in LP. I know that you will do the best you can and that you WILL hear them say that you are an Iron Man!

    Good luck! Love you, Susan

    PS - If you need a place to get away from it all when it is all over, while it may not be near a beautiful carribean beach, I have a lovely spare room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Deanne!! I know you will do what you need to finish this race. I am so proud of you and all you have accomplished. You have and will always inspire me to do my best! Thanks1 Now go and have a great race!! ;D
    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that is hilarious. I should have known that Quinn does all of your packing for you. I would say those nips best be refillable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck at Lake Placid....you've got the best fan club ever!! Go do your thing. (I wish I had Quinn to pack for me this weekend - I think I'm packing enough for 2 weeks....you just never know!!)
    Love you, Ironman champ!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG can you believe it-it's time!!I must say that I am jealous that you have Quinnie to pack for you. You sure as hell hit the jackpot when you found her for a roommate! She deserves more than 6 nips, refillable or not. Although, the fact that she will be seeing me should more than make up for all the aggravation she has had to deal with. LOVE YOU QUINNIE!!! Dee-just remember that you are an amazing, incredible woman and you will be amazing on Sunday!Your peeps will be there to cheer you on, although I am a little concerned because I only saw 2 cowbells in that pile of stuff on your bed. See ya tomorow in LP!

    Love ya
    Sissy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this has been a long journey for you, one in which you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams, but now you need to reflect on the trauma your sister Jacki must face- taking driving across state lines!!!!! She will be on my mind. I bow to Quinn as well, packing 10 lbs into the proverbial 5 lbs sack is an art in and of itself, one mastered long ago by my Father (just look in our basement...) . Seriously, I have more admiration for you than you will ever know. You are an amazing inspiration to everyone who knows you. Let's plan a Iron Man celebration soon. One final thing- please make sure you adequately spell check all my entries before they are published! Love you Deanne- FOR DAVID.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanne, you know we will all be cheering for you as you finish the race and become this family's personal IRONMAN. Just remember that Jimmy and David will be cheering as loudly as the rest of us.. You go Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete