Wednesday, July 25, 2012

IRONMAN RACE REPORT PART 2

112 very long very hot miles.  Having ridden the course in training camp was invaluable.  I knew exactly what to expect but that didn't make this easy.  I made a purchase a few days before the race that really saved me on the bike.  Arm coolers.
I put these on in transition and when I got hot during the ride I would squirt water on them and they would immediately cool my body temperature.  My bike computer said it was 74 at the start of the bike and 94 at the finish.  Not sure if it really got that hot but it was definitely in the 80's somewhere.  As I headed out of Lake Placid my HR was sky high from being so pumped up about my swim so I settled down and took it easy.  I navigated the never-ending hill out of town and settled in for the long haul.  The course itself was a graveyard of launched water bottles and nutrition.  I could have opened my own store with all the gu and power bars lying on the road.  It also made for a bit of an obstacle course out there.  I hit the downhill to Keene and let loose.  In training camp I topped out at 33 MPH here.  On race day I hit 38 MPH and yes I was scared shitless but it was fun.  Around Mile 36 I stopped to use the bathroom and fix my right sock.  I was getting a horrible hot spot on that foot that was almost unbearable.  Then began the 20 mile climb back into town.  This part of the course is so brutal and we were riding smack into a strong head wind.  If you watched my splits you can see the difference this made.  I averaged 18.29 MPH the first 30 miles and 12.71 the next 26.  You do have to take into account the stop which probably took around 5 mins as I waited in line but still...those 26 miles hurt.  There were so many signs out on the road and stuff written on the road that made me laugh.  Just like Kerry my favorite one on the bike was "If Ironman was easy it would be called your Mom".  Going up Papa Bear hill was great as there were tons of spectators in the road running alongside you screaming for you.  There were also two dudes in cheerleading outfits and this guy.

It also helped to know I would be headed down Mirror Lake Drive in a few minutes and would see my family.  I could see their green shirts a mile away and gave a big wave and smile as I went by because you know what...I was having fun!!!
Hands down best cheering squad EVER



I looped into town behind the oval and headed out for round two.  As expected everything was just harder.  As I approached the bottom of the hill in Keene I saw Kerry ahead of me.  After riding all those miles with her I can spot her easily.  It was such a boost to catch up to her and have a little chance to compare notes and make sure we were each doing okay.  We hung together for a bit and then I pulled away.  I stopped again to fix my right sock as my foot was burning like crazy.  I never had this problem in training and I was a little worried that I had already developed a blister that would haunt me on the run.  Before I knew it it was time to climb back into town again.  OMG this was tough.  I was hot and tired and the head wind was just as brutal.  There was a lot of carnage on this stretch of the course.  I saw no less than a dozen people off their bikes throwing up over the guardrails.  I also saw two or three lying flat out on the ground waiting for the ambulance.  As I passed all these people it was a reality check.  No matter how bad I felt...and I did...it could be much worse.  I had to stop for a third time to ease the pain in my foot but then got going and was back on Mirror Lake Drive again to see my family and friends.  This time as I looped around to the Oval it was time to get off the bike.  After 7 hrs and 30 mins my 112 mile IM bike was done.  My actual ride time was 7:23 so between the 3 stops I only wasted 7 minutes.  I think I consumed around 6 bottles of Perform, several bottles of water, 6 gus, 1 pack of gu chomps and two bonk breaker bars on the bike.  As I hit the dismount line I unclipped and was very happy that my legs cooperated and did not crumble beneath me.  A volunteer took my bike and I shuffled into transition to get my run gear bag.  Before going in the tent I hit the bathroom and then into the tent.  Once again a volunteer sat me down and dumped my stuff out and asked what I needed.  Again I said I have a list.  Helmet off, shirt off, running shirt on, bike shoes off, tri shorts off, underwear and compression shorts on, eat, drink, advil, body glide feet, socks on, shoes on, sunglasses on, gum in.  I can't run without gum!!!  The volunteer packed all my stuff back in my bag and turned me around the right way as I attempted to run the wrong way out of the tent.  Hey...I was hot and tired....what can I say.  This transition took 9.5 minutes but again I don't care.  I didn't want to forget anything.  As I crossed under the Run Out arch the clock said I was now 9 hrs and 40 minutes into my Ironman day.  At that point I could still do math so I knew I had 7 hrs and 20 mins to run a marathon.  I could pretty much walk the majority of it if I had to.  OK legs I know you have gone 114.4 miles already but we have 26.2 more to go and they are going to be the hardest and hurt the most so let's get this party started.
Me and my ass headed out on the marathon
Stay tuned for the run details

3 comments:

  1. Deanne, so glad you are still Blogging. Another fascinating blog. You girls are amazing, strong-willed, determined and courageous.

    "Mom Murphy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again let me start off my saying how proud I am of you. What you conquored and endured that day is beyond words and I am soo happy I got the chance to be there to share it with you. So onto other things, Most importantly I speak for your entire fan club when I say that "yes indeed it was 94 degrees" I don't care what anybody says. I also could not be happier that your legs did not crumble when you got off your bike. I can not imagine seeing all those people being sick and waiting for ambulances, but you kept your head strong and new exactly what you had to do and you went out there and did it. Again I am truely amazed by you. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, what Tracie said.... It was so damned hot standing there spectating. I felt like dying and kept worrying about you all out there on your bikes and running.. I like reading your blog esp so I know how it was on the course. I had no idea there was that much stuff on the roads or so many people down. although we did see a lot of ambulance action from where we were standing.. I am glad seeing all that didnt mess with your head. :-)

    ReplyDelete