Tuesday, July 10, 2012

TRACKING 847 AND 741

So if you are sitting around on Sunday July 22 wondering how Kerry and I are fairing in the race of our lives you can find out.  You can go the the ironman website http://www.ironman.com/  and on race day there will be a link to an athlete tracker which allows you to put in our bib numbers and see what we have completed so far.  Fair warning....this site is notoriously slow in updating things so don't get too nervous if we seemed to have stopped.  I think it only gives you one time for the swim, maybe 3 on the bike and two on the run.  You will have to figure it out on your own because the site doesn't go live until race day and I will be busy. Additionally this site usually has a live feed from the finish line so if you have an idea when I will be finishing you might actually see me on the computer.  A better way to follow me is through the following website http://www.myathletelive.com/ .  I will be wearing a GPS transmitter on the bike and run.  This site loads the course maps for the race so you will be able to see exactly where I am on the course.  Although I will be tracked by GPS the information is transmitted through cellular signal and therein lies a problem.  A decent chunk of the bike course has no cell coverage so there will be no info for a time.  The run course however is good and that is the most important part to track anyhow.  When you go to the site you will see a link to track an athlete and then a list of events.  Just pick Ironman Lake Placid and my name should be there.  No bib numbers here. This is a separate site from Ironman.  For $50 they ship you the transmitter and as many people as you want can track you.  It will be good for my peeps in Lake Placid as they will know when it is a good opportunity to take a nap or eat or shop or when I will be coming by. Now someone in the family who is computer saavy is going to need to be a lifeline to my fanclub in Lake Placid.  On race day the cell towers are just saturated with all the phone use so the signals are spotty at best and getting online is iffy so you may need to relay info to them so they have a better chance of seeing me.  I think this may be a job for you Susan (there's a cowbell in it for you if you choose to accept!).  If at anytime this site says I am traveling faster than 32 MPH you can bet I am on the bike going down the big hill in Keene.  You can also bet I am saying a Hail Mary, gripping the handlebars, feathering my brakes and screaming like a girl!!!!!  If you happen to be in Lake Placid that day this is what I will be wearing.  Functional NOT flattering. I mean seriously...is it that hard to design tri shorts with a slimming effect for your thighs instead of a stuffed sausage casing effect??!!  It will be on under the wetsuit and on the bike.  Yes we bike in wet clothes to start.  Sounds fun huh?! I will be changing clothes for the run though because after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 I will want nothing to do with those shorts.  Maybe ever!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I for one love the outfit Dee-you are rocking that look! I sure as hell hope that Quinn will be taking care of all the details for your 'fanclub' because I do not want to make any decisions that day. Just tell me when and where and I will follow. I hope Susan is able to accept the responsibility because she truly would be the best person for the job! 11 and a half days to go!
    Love
    Sissy jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great instructions Dee. thanks for posting. In case anyone wants to reach me on race day, my e-mail is essie648@comcast.net. I am also on Facebook.

    Esther Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Deanne!! thanks so much!! I will be watching you and Kerry closely...wish I could be there to cheer you guys on (even though you don't know me!!) I'm one of Kerry's old high school friends. I've been reading both of you ladies' blogs, and I am so impressed with both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanne, I am glad you post so much info since Kerry posts nearly nothing! I will be in Lake Placid cheering for Kerry and now you as well! Will track you both and hope to snap some pics. :-) Good luck with the taper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad everyone likes the blogs. The more the merrier. I have much more free time on my hands than Kerry since I have no kids to take care of so I have a chance to blog more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dee you kill me.....I would definately pay money to hear you screaming like a girl going 32 miles an hour.....I think the outfit is fab and maybe you will be the next poster girl for the Ironman...seeing you are pretty jacked and all. Sissy Jack I will second the duties to be handed to Susan she is definately the only one who can handle it, but I am pretty sure the offer is looking pretty sweet now that dee's throwing the cowbell in...Keep muddling along sissy....u totally got this I love u

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the pressure is on! I will accept the responsibility and track as best I can. I assume I will text standings to the Lake Placid peeps. I will work this out with Tracie and Jacki and pray that I am up to the task.

    ReplyDelete