Thursday, July 5, 2012

THE SPIRIT OF THE IRONMAN

Since I have been to two IM races I know how amazing the atmosphere is and what an everlasting effect it leaves on you.  While I can't wait for my family to experience this I know that a lot of my loyal blog readers and village people probably will never see nor participate in an Ironman.  I think that unless you experience this you can never fully understand why anyone would want to do one.  I watched a video today that is the closest thing I can think of to give you a taste of the experience.  The video is from Ironman Coeur D'Alene in Idaho held a few weeks ago.  It is the finish line from the 16:56 mark to the 17 hr cutoff.  As you watch the video note a few things.....the place is packed and rocking.  It is almost midnight and these spectators and athletes have been going since 7AM but it is a total party out there.  In no other sporting event would the last finishers get such a reception.  The video is a little over 8 mins long and I urge you to watch and listen to the entire thing.  If you are pressed for time skip ahead to around 3:48 in when a woman named Cathy Stevens has 30 seconds to get across the  line and become an official finisher. Unfortunately she doesn't but what takes place in the next 4 minutes of the video is what the Ironman spirit is all about.  Enjoy.....and my family.......bring the tissues!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndY9xptZI9w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7 comments:

  1. Amazing! I know what the energy was like when you ran the Chicago Marathon, but can't even imagine how much more exciting Lake Placid is going to be. I truly wish that I could be there with you. I can't believe that the guys and girls crossing the finish line in the video didn't even look tired!

    Deanne - you are going to rock this and you will be an Iron Man! I am so proud of all of the hard work you have done to get to this point. I am honored to be your cousin.

    I love you Deanne Hobba!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing video. I needed paper towels not tissues.

    Kerry's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously Dee-that was amazing but I am concerned because if I cried that hard watching a video, am I going to be able to handle the real thing? Hmmm-I guess we'll find out soon enough. So Dee, please don't make me wait 17 hours, I simply don't think I can stand it that long! And I will tell you all right now that we will push and shove whomever we have to to be right in the front of that cheering squad!!! 16 days to go Dee!!!!!!!

    Love
    Sissy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sissy I promise to do my absolute best to make sure you don't have to wait that long but no promises. My biggest concern is that if I need medical attention at the end there will be no paramedics available because they are tending to you, Tray and Mom!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I am sure the paramedics will be done with us in enough time to tend to you sissy...no worries there, I watched this video standing right beside Dee and was just overcome with raw emotion, I can not even imagine the feeling when we witness you....our #1 warrior complete this unbelievable goal.....Susan i agree the Chicago Marathon was just incredible and amazing and I can not wait to experience this one....I love you sissy...U r gana kick this Ironman's ass....and I am like 65% sure your legs will still be attached.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The video was awesome. I never imagined a finish line like that.
    I hope we get a video of you coming to the finish line so we can all cheer even though we aren't there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, that's what I call a good sport....you will make it in time, Deanne, and those of us who can't be there WILL be with you in spirit!! What you have accomplished is truly amazing and like I said in an earlier comment, you ARE my hero....Love you, girl!!

    ReplyDelete