Saturday, January 14, 2012

MEEMA

I really had no intentions of posting today but as I was on my bike trainer trying to survive through 90 mins of 65-75 % of my functional power threshold while pedaling at 90 RPM's I thought "I absolutely need to post today".  Don't worry,  I will explain that training nonsense at a later time.  Today is all about Meema.  Eight years ago today we lost the matriarch of this family.  I think Meema was one of the most powerful influences in my life and most likely everyone else's in the family.  She was simply awesome in so many ways.  Her most everlasting gift to us is undoubtably her sense of sarcasm.  God knows I certainly inherited it!!!  Jacki, Tracie and I were so lucky to grow up right next door to Meema's.  It was like having two houses.  If we didn't like what was going on in our house we just went next door.  Usually it was to eat or get out of trouble.  Well as far as trouble goes only Jacki would know about that because I was perfect and Tracie was a spoiled brat who never did anything wrong (love you sissys).  My fondest memory of Meema when I was young was when I found a baby bird on the road that had fallen from the nest and she came outside with me to get it.  We put it in a shoebox with some old clothes for warmth and fed it.  Just for the record the damn thing died the next day but that wasn't the point. I am sure everyone has their favorite Meema memories but some things will stick with all of us.  She was a phenomenal cook....best homemade pizza, pasta and cookies EVER.  She was our protector...she always stood up for us when we were unjustly getting in trouble from our parents!!!!  She had a super sense of humor..you just never knew what was going to come out of her mouth. She was an amazingly strong woman both physically and mentally...aside from raising 7 awesome kids she overcame some amazing hardships.  She was a softie.....as soon as you sat down next to Meema on the couch she would take your hand and ask you how you were and what was going on in your life.  Wow....I miss her so much.  I can pretty much bet you right now the tissues are flying out of the boxes in quite a few places.  Today I salute you Anita Concetta Dell'Arciprete DiGiulio. You were a rock star!!!!!  I will leave my Mom, sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins with some of the best things to ever come out of Meema's mouth. " Who's Paul Berris?  Have you met David?  Too bad you can't see! But they allow you 5". You were on this earth for almost 94 years but it still wasn't enough.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously dee that was so beautiful and of course it almost put me and mama over the edge! I know out sweet Meema is in all of our thoughts today. An amazing lady is no more! Love to all!
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so right when you said the tisses were flying!!! You know us all so well. Meema is the sole reason that we are a wonderfully close family and always will be. She raised us all the right way!!!!! She truly was the best person that God ever created. I love and miss Meema every day....Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not use a tissue- I will just let the tears fall. Deanne- Meema would be/is so proud of you, as the rest of us are. But the questions you would have fielded- "An Iron what"? "What Man"? - now that would have made us cry from tears of laughter. - Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you deanne! You said it all so well. I miss everything about her. Living with 'Nita wasn't always easy, but it was definitely the best way anyone could ever wish to grow up!! We are truly lucky people to have been blessed with this family, we're just so much better than everyone else! :0)

    ReplyDelete