Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The How AKA $656.25

So can anyone crazy enough to inflict that much pain on themselves sign up for an Ironman?  In theory sure. For the small fee of $656.25 you too can register.  Well not really.  Believe it or not lots of people want to do these races SO to get in you need to volunteer the year before, sit in front of your computer as soon as online registration opens up or register for an Ironman Foundation slot which costs twice as much money with the difference going to charity.  I chose the volunteer route.  I had been to Lake Placid in 2007 to watch two friends do the race and fell in love with the place. The swim start and the finish line were magical.  I cried for people I didn't even know as they crossed the finish line.  Shocking I know coming from a member of the "blubbering idiots who cry over commercials" family. I was very much looking forward to returning.  My friend Kerry and I signed up to volunteer at Special Needs bike. This is basically a point half way during the bike where you can leave a bag with anything you may need...food, bike parts, inspirational notes, socks etc.
Lake Placid 2011 Special Needs Bike Stop
We worked the 8-2 shift and were responsible for about 100 bags.  This adrenaline filled shift gave us the right to camp out in line the day after the race for the privilege of handing over our credit cards to register.  We got in line at approximately 5:30 AM with blankets, chairs and coffee in hand.  There were already about 100 people in front of us.  Registration was to open at 9 but the computers were up and running early so we were registered and were on the way home by 9.  Yep...Kerry and I just took out first steps in becoming Ironmen.
Kerry and I in our totally unplanned matching shirts looking like drown rats at the end of a race in Oct.

By the way don't be to impressed with this two posts in two days nonsense.  That won't be the norm but I feel like there are some background posts I need to get out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment