Saturday, August 4, 2012

FINAL IRONMAN LAKE PLACID THOUGHTS

Now don't think for one minute just because this blog title has the word final in it that I will never talk about the race again.....if I continue blogging.  We'll discuss that in the next post.  I mean let's face it I get bragging rights forever.  Speaking of forever...a mere 7 days and 4 hours after beginning my quest I FINALLY got my tattoo!!!!

I will spare you the long version of my third attempt Thursday that fell through because the tattoo artist went to his other job where he bakes cakes.  WTF!!!  I thought maybe I was on Candid Camera.  Anyhow. I will probably find a way to work the fact that I am an Ironman into a plethora of conversations.  "Congratulations on your engagement.   You should honeymoon in Lake Placid where I became an Ironman"  "Sorry you lost your job.  With your free time let's get coffee and talk about my Ironman race."  "Wow your broken leg looks painful.  So glad that didn't happen to me during my Ironman race" and so on and so on.  I have a few more random thoughts to share about the race.  Of the over 2700 people registered for the race only 25% were female.  The average age of an Ironman is 37 and 95% have a post-secondary education.  I am sure that is because you need a good job to pay for all the insanity that accompanies this endeavor.  If you count my bike purchase 2 years ago in preparation for eventually signing up for this race I spent over $10,000 between bike, coaching, lodging, registration, gear, clothes etc.  I lost two important items during race week.  The cross I wore on my necklace got caught in my wetsuit during a practice swim and got ripped off the chain.  During the race I wore my watch for the swim then took it off in transition to put on my Garmin.  I never saw the watch again.  Kind of ironic to loose an Ironman watch doing an Ironman.  I have replaced that because I hate being without a watch but the cross will have to wait until my bank account heals a bit.  I can't believe how calm I felt as Kerry and I floated in Mirror Lake waiting for the cannon to go off.  Despite how hard the race was I never NOT ONCE thought about or wanted to quit.  I truly enjoyed race day and all my smiles were real.  I was thankful to have the ability to do it. As stated my main goal was always to finish but I told a very select few people that I thought I could do it in around 15 hours.  I am amazed at how spot-on I was.  I procured 7 cowbells for my cheering squad yet I have none now.  What did you people do with them???  Kerry, Dan, Quinn and I went out while we were still in Lake Placid to celebrate and talk about our races.
Beers and margaritas all around
Kerry and I were both surprised at how so many people said they were amazed at what we did, called us their idols and heroes.  We decided that we don't have any superpowers unless you count dedication and perserverance as a superpower.  We were simply two people who had a dream and a goal and decided we were going to do whatever it took to make it a reality.  So this is my challenge to you my loyal blog followers.  Life is short and that has been proven to me several times the past year.  I want you all to go after what you want.  Whatever it is.  Big or small.  Make a plan and stick with it.  Keep the faith through the hard times and enjoy the good.  You will get what you want and if for some reason you don't......dust yourself off, wipe away your tears and try again.  And with that I will leave you with a few more photos.
LOVE this pic of me and Kerry...like lambs off to the slaughter

I look totally badass on my bike

This is when I looked at the clock and saw my time
I am an Ironman



5 comments:

  1. Deanne, the smile on your face when you looked up and saw your time is priceless. No amount of money in the world could buy that smile from you. You and Kerry are heroes to both of your families because you knew what you wanted and you worked your tails off till you got it! You keep blogging and talking about Ironman all you want because you truly deserve it. I love the tattoo. Hope it wasn't too painful. I'd love to have a copy of that last picture as you finish the race. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious dee! And I totally agree with aunt lorrie-you totally earned the right to bring up the fact that you are an Ironman as many times as your little heart desires. I love the tattoo and am so glad that you were finally able to get it! Again I must say that that weekend was hands down one of the most incredible things I have yet to experience and I am so thankful that we all were there to share it with you. Will look forward to pictures from you soon since I can't seem to get any from anyone else. I love you so very much and am soooo proud of you Dee-by the way I somehow ended up with 3 cowbells!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still keep checking your Blog and Kerry's. Glad you got your tattoo. I also can't get enough of your Ironman. Still bragging to everyone down here including waitresses at the restaurants we go to. The pictures are great. You made it look like it was a cinch running in and looking at the clock. The man behind you didn't look quite that good :-) Keep on Blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously how did Jacki end up with 3 cowbells???> I have one from Jeff and an old crusty orange one, so where the hell did the other ones go?? Kinda funny that you did all the work and you have NO Cowbell to speak of. I will give up mine for you though. U definately get to talk about the IRONMAN forever, it is a lifetime pass..someday when you go out to breakast, "why yes I will have the eggs and that reminds me of a story about the time I became an IRONMAN....funny shit right there. Use it sissy, you earned it kid......again yes truely one of the most fabulous weekends of my life, I can't remember laughing that much in a long time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, Deanne...and you brag as long as you want to. You have accomplished so much with more determination than I will ever have. Love the tattoo....take care of it!! (I still think a press-on would have been less painful) God bless.

    ReplyDelete