Monday, August 20, 2012

A DAY TO GIVE THANKS

No you have not missed a few months...it is not Thanksgiving.  I think everyone has days that are special to them for whatever reason....birthdays, anniversaries etc.  I know that ever since losing all that weight years ago I have made it a point to do some type of workout on my birthday every year since 2002.  This year I really whooped it up by riding my bike 85 miles thanks to Ironman training.  So what is so special about August 20th...besides the fact that it is my Ironbuddy Kerry's birthday?  HAPPY  BIRTHDAY KERRY!!!!!!  One year ago today on August 20, 2011 is when I crashed my bike and injured my brain and a few other parts of me.  So very much has happened in the past year.  I have to admit I still get very unnerved thinking about that day and I know those of you who were there and have full recall of that day will also never forget it. There is actually not a day that goes by that I don't think about that day mostly due to a few scars that I see every day when I look in the mirror and one on the back of my hand.  But today I choose to be positive about August 20th because the outcome could have been far different and despite taking a full three months to recover from that dreadful day I did and I am fine.  I have decided that from now on every August 20th I will swim bike and run.  Not any crazy distances..just a little of each.  I wasn't sure I would ever do any of those things again so I will celebrate my ability to do so.  I will also spend the day thinking of everything I have to be thankful for.  Again it is only by the grace of God that I am here and I am so lucky to have a wonderful family, friends and my health.  Those are the things that really matter in life.  So my blog peeps I invite you to give thanks today for whatever you choose and be happy today for what you have and not what you wish you had.
ADDENDUM:  WTF..WTF...WTF...WTF!!!!  About 5 seconds after I posted this freakin blog I started hysterically crying.  Where in the hell did that come from?  I was seriously at peace and in a good place when I wrote the damn thing and then BAM..I get blind-sided with all this emotional crap.  The worst part was that I couldn't get over this feeling of being very restless and needing to go do something with myself.  Thankfully being a Monday it was my paperwork day at work so if I left I wouldn't be short-staffing the floor. I attempted to go talk to my supervisor about leaving no less than 4 times but while I was trying to figure out what to say I would start crying again.  Since I only cry in front of people under dire circumstances I turned around and went right back to my office.  I tried to get some work done and take my mind off of it but that wasn't working so I finally had to ask to leave in an email.  Since I have an awesome supervisor she understood and was ok with it.  I am home now and a bit better but still shocked at the effect this had on me.  I wanted this to be nothing but a thankful, positive day but I guess I am not quite there yet.  You know of course this pisses me off to no end.  I am still thankful for everything I have and have accomplished two of my three workout goals for the day.  Swim and run done.  Bike up next.  To me going out for a ride a year to the day you crashed on the same bike is like giving the incident the finger and if you know anything about me you know I am a fan of giving things the finger!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You sure do have a lot to be thankful for! I remember Kerry talking about your accident and how upset and horrified she was. we all prayed for you to get well. and now you are an Ironman! I hope you enjoyed your bike ride and agree that it is like giving the incident a well deserved finger! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanne Just read your blog of August 20. Just want to say that there is nothing wrong with crying. It clears out some of the bad and makes room for more good to enter. Just saying..

    ReplyDelete