Monday, August 27, 2012

BUSY BUSY BUSY

For someone who doesn't exactly have a booming social life I had a very busy weekend.  Quinn and I decided to play tourist on Saturday and went into Boston to see the Constitution.  We walked from North Station over to the Charlestown Navy Yard and waited in line to see the boat.  This was right up there with trying to get on a plane.  Belts, cellphones, camera, etc and body all through metal detector and xray.  Thankfully it took much less time and we were on the boat.  If you live in these parts and have never seen it you really should go.  It is a beautiful ship full of history and it's FREE!!!  I found something I really wanted to take off the boat but but it was a bit big to carry.  I can assure you if I had one of these
I have a million reasons for needing one of these
those lawn-mowing idiots from next door would manage to get it done much quicker!!!  Nothing like a canonball across your lawnmower/weedwacker/leafblower to get your ass moving.  And yes that is an Ironman finisher shirt I have on.  Have I mentioned I am an Ironman??  After touring around the Constitution we visited the USS Caisson Young which is a destroyer.  Quinn found a little something there she wanted to take home.  This might just shutup the white trash f bomb dropping neighbors on the other

Depth charge anyone?
side of our apartment who scream at each other at least three times a day or more.  IDIOTS.  We left the Navy Yard peacefully without procuring any weapons and walked over to the North End into the madness of St. Anthony's feast.  After splitting a softball-sized aranchini we sat over by the fountains and cooled our feet.  It was a great day.  Sunday was raceday.  Kerry and I were doing the Cranberry Olympic Tri.  We were both signed up to do this last year but some beyotch named Hurricane Irene blew threw causing the race to be cancelled.  The weather yesterday was beautiful although heavy fog caused the race start to be delayed 15 mins because you could not see the buoys on the pond.  It was great to
As Quinn says...same picture, different numbers

 do a race with absolutely no pressure.  As stated I had one goal and that was to ride the wheels off my bike and I did.  That must have been Kerry's goal too because she had a blistering fast ride also.  We both averaged just under 19MPH.  We both agreed that our legs were burning and hurting but we didn't care.  Kerry followed that up with a damn good run and I thought mine was pretty good considering I have a toe that hurts like a bastard and can only be fixed with surgery.  Both of our swims were good.  We started in different waves.  I was in the 45 and up wave since I am old.  These women were brutal.  Worse than Lake Placid.  I got hit, pushed and swum over more than in the IM.  Nasty old biddies!!!  Kerry said her wave was very aggressive also.  The water was pretty shallow in some parts but all in all a nice swim.  It took me a few minutes longer in transition than planned since my damn wetsuit got stuck on my foot.  I think every race should have wetsuit strippers!!!  Great day, great race.  After I crossed the finish line I heard someone calling my name.  I looked up but didn't recognize said person but she was carrying flowers so she can't be too bad right?!  Turns out it was Melanie, loyal blog reader and Kerry's friend who came to watch us.  She had flowers for both of us which was awesome of her.  Thank you Melanie and good to finally meet you!!  Thanks to all of Kerry's friends for coming out to watch and cheer us on.  Thanks again to Quinn, sherpa extraordinaire who not only comes to these races but makes sure she sees us as many times as possible.  You rock Lynda.  Onto marathon training.

Me and Kerry on our way to check out the water


Asking Quinn if my legs are still attached

Bonnie did this race after doing a marathon in ICELAND a week ago!!!!!


7 comments:

  1. I feel famous!!! thanks for the mention...so nice to meet you! You ladies kicked butt yesterday! Now on to the trail marathon-phew I get tired tracking you and Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! I didn't know you were an Ironman. I must have missed that blog!!! I hope you have one of those shirts for every day of the week, I'd say you deserve to wear it!!! How nice to finally do tourist stuff after living near Boston for only 127 years! My friends at work make fun of me and Linda (she moved here the same time I did) because we do touristy stuff all of the time. We have seen more that many of the folks who have lived here their whole lives. Have fun with the marathon training!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanne, Glad you finally did some sight seeing. Love the picture of you with the cannon. Looks like the ideal threat to the grass cutters next door. I'm sure the Olympic Tri was a piece of cake after the Ironman. Nice to just relax and get it done. Your mom says she has pictures for me but I haven't seen them yet. Uncle JIm and I were at Chris's for a few days but I should catch up with your Mom this week sometime. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great weekend Dee! Still proud of you and amazed by you and most importantly-love you and so blessed that you are my sister!!

    Love
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and by the way, what the heck is an aranchini???

      Delete
  5. Good question, Jacki. I was going to ask the same thing. And Dee, you can mention that you are an Ironman any time you like because YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!! Glad you had a nice, relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete