Monday, June 25, 2012

LAKE PLACID TRAINING CAMP

I went into this training camp at an all-time low physically and mentally.  I was tired and wasn't recovering from workouts like I usually do and the two days prior to camp we had temps in the mid to high 90's which forced me to cut some workouts short.  Still I was looking forward to getting out there on the course and seeing just what I was in for come race day.  Kerry and I hit the road at 5:15am Friday morning with her car packed to maximum capacity. We arrived around 11:15 and got some lunch.  We set out to find the places where we were staying race week but it began to rain a bit.  Since my bike was on the roof I wanted to get it somewhere undercover as soon as possible.  We headed to the condos where we were staying and luckily enough they were ready early so I got my bike in and we unpacked the car. Of the 20 people attending the training camp only 4 of us were women.  We headed back into town for a bit since we didn't have to be ready to run until 3.  The weather was actually pretty good as it was cloudy and overcast in the low 70's.  We were ready to run at 3 but no one else was apparently so we finally got started at 3:45 just as the clouds cleared, the sun came out and the temp shot up to the eighties.  I liked the run course overall.  There is a pretty long hill back into town at the end of each loop but I will be walking that thing anyhow.  Unfortunately my run started much the same as the past 4 runs have gone for me.......craptastic!!  It got a bit better in the middle but around mile 9 I had pretty much had it.  I resorted to the walk/run method to get through.  As always Kerry stuck with me and was my cheerleader.  Somehow I did it. 13.5 miles done.  Scenery like this helped
Olympic Ski Jump
After quick showers we headed to my coach's condo for dinner with the team and a talk about the bike course.  This is what we were waiting for.  The bike course is well-known for being very challenging.  In fact of 25 IM bike courses it is ranked the 6th most difficult.  They weren't kidding.  Beautiful...yep...scary...yep...quad-burning...yep
but most importantly...manageable. Unfortunately I had gearing problems about 20 mins into the ride which hampered my whole ride and really didn't allow me to bike like I wanted.  I pulled up my big girl bike shorts and dealt with it.  The first big challenge for us was the infamous Keene descent which is about 8 miles of downhill.  While there were some insane bikers out there bombing down the thing in aero going 50+ MPH there were times when I was sitting upright wishing my body would turn into a parachute and slow me down.  By the time we got to the bottom my hands were cramping from the deathgrip on the handlebars and I think my brakes might have been smoking.  I was so very
I wonder if I could borrow his jacket on race day?
happy to be at the bottom of that hill and so very unhappy I had to do it again on the next loop.  The next section of the bike course was great and passed fairly quickly and then we headed back toward Lake Placid in what are undoubtably the hardest but most beautiful 18 + miles I have ever ridden.  This section is just hill after hill after hill. 
Minus the snow this was some of the scenery.
As we were finishing up this loop I heard some thunder in the distance.  I should have known what was ahead but I was in denial.  I stopped at the condo on the way to do the 2nd loop of the course to fill my bottles and get more food.  Kerry came about 10 mins later so I waited for her to head out.  Off we went.  On the first climb out of town I dropped my chain.  Kerry held the bike and I got it back on quickly and off we went.  The roads were now wet as we headed into the long descent but at least it wasn't raining.  We made it down safely again and were about 2 miles into the next section when it started raining.  Surprised?????  Yeah ..me neither.  The rain progressed to torrential I can't see two feet in front of me to thunder to lightening.  The roads were flooding in parts.  Kerry and I were separated again at this point but I just knew we were both thinking the same thing.  The rain stopped at one point and the roads begin
to dry up.  Things were looking up!!! I made the turn to head back into town again up all the hills and now the only thing looking up was me......up the hills as the next downpour started.  A few minutes later I was wondering why the rain was bouncing off my arm and I kept hearing a pinging on my helmet.  Ohh wait I know why...it is freakin hailing!!!  Really Mother Nature????  I must have really pissed her off at some
BITCH!!!!!
point in my life.  I just kept on riding and riding and riding and swearing and laughing and shaking my head till I got back to the condo. 7.5 hrs, 113 miles, 8 bottles of sports drink, 6 gels, 2 bonk breaker bars, 3 thunderstorms and 1 hailstorm later I was done with the new entry in my bike ride from hell file.  As a point of reference during my last 100 mile ride the elevation gain was 1500 ft.  For this ride it was 5000 ft.  Now I am supposed to run 6 miles.  Really???  How????  I couldn't run yesterday and I just spent the day on my bike.  As I was talking myself out of it Kerry got back and told me I was running.  We will go slow..you can do it..just see how you feel.  OK Kerry.  Off we went.  We shuffled along for 2 miles and I said I was going to turn around and be happy with 4.  When I got to 4 I looked down and my legs were still attached and moving so I ran back to find Kerry and finished up the hour with her.  I got 5.6 miles which was good enough for me.  For the umpteenth time the past few weeks it was Kerry that got me through a run.  I think she gets the following award.


I wouldn't want to do this without her.  Thank you so much Kerry.  We finished our run around 4:30.  We started the bike at 7:15 that morning.  We were wiped.  We hit the shower and went to dinner with the team.  We then walked into town for a bit of shopping and a photo-op.  We managed to stay awake till 10 that night and were up at
It was very difficult getting out of this thing after an 8 hour workout
6 Sunday morning for our 7am swim.  We walked down to the lake as a team and did a 1.5 mile swim in Mirror Lake.  It was great because there weren't 3000 people there and I could just sight off the underwater cable.  That won't happen on race day.  I was of course the last one out of the water and everyone else was already out of their wetsuits and had dry hair by then.  Whatever.  I hate to swim!!!  We headed home at 10 am.  In a span of under 42 hours we trained for 12.5 hours.  Can you say exhausted?
I am taking Jeff's words about this weekend to heart because I need to for my confidence.  He said on race day everything will be easier and you will be faster. You entered the biggest training weekend of your life running on empty.  On race day you will be well-rested. I am counting on it Jeff.  I do feel much better prepared and have a whole new respect for the difficulty of what I attempting to do.  While I have had ideas of what I thought my finishing time could be I will now be truly happy and satisfied to finish under the 17 hr cutoff.  One more brutal week of training and then the tapering and recovery process begins.  I am hanging by a thread right now and I hope it holds for one more week.  Sorry so long peeps but I had a lot say.

7 comments:

  1. I have been dying to hear how the weekend was for you. I can't even begin to imagine how tired you are, but you made it through the weekend!!! I am going to start praying now for perfect weather for race day, you have been working so hard for this that you shouldn't have to worry about the weather.

    I have faith that you will make it through this next brutal week of training and that you are going to be physically and mentally ready on race day. Remember that although most of us won't be there in body, we will be there in spirit helping you towards the finish line.

    I love you Deanne Hobba!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dee that was a marathon blog! Loved it though and so glad that you got to have a little taste of what you are about to experience. As always I am in awe of you and your strength and determination and am getting so excited for this to get here. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Hard to believe that you have been training so hard for what seems to me a lifetime and now it's time to start winding down. I will also be praying for nice weather on race day (not only for you but really for me)! The scenery looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in person! Remind me to give Kerry a big warm hug of thanks when I finally get to meet her because it truly does make my heart happy that you have such an awesome friend and training partner to make it through these grueling days!I love you so much Dee and as always I am so thankful that your legs haven't fallen off yet (wouldn't that suck if it finally happened on race day?????). HeHe just kidding!

    Love you
    Sissy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deane, What an experience you had this past weekend. I know the real thing will go a lot smoother for you and we will be praying for the good weather you deserve to complete this Iron Man event.Wish Susan, Chris and I could be there like we were in Chicago last year but you know we will be pulling for you. You will be in our thoughts and prayers during that day and we will be anxious to read your blog following the Iron Man. You go Girl!
    Love You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops..Just realized Chicago was almost two years ago. I think I lost a year somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, where do I start?? I have seen some part of your utter exhaustion and sometimes frustration, I know you are not used to sometimes not doing exactly what you are supposed to in terms of training and working out, but u have to keep remembering this is like nothing you have ever trained for before, its all new, and it is all a learning process. It sounds like Jeff is a pretty smart man, and it sounds like he is giving you the encouragement you need to believe you can do it..I also can not thank God enough that you and Kerry have each other, it must be an awesome feeling for you because I know I am comforted by it. You are going to be fabulous at the Ironman because there is no other way you could possibly be....ps I too once again am thrilled that when you looked down you still had your legs, and I am praying they stay on till at least after the entire Ironman is completed...then I am pretty sure all bets are off. I can not wait to experience this will you and the rest of our peeps. I love you immensely and have more faith and pride in you that you could possibly ever know........GO SISSY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew!! Reading this blog was exhausting!! Can't even begin to imagine actually going through that routine....Honestly, Dee, I can't tell you how proud we all are of you. You ROCK!! God bless you as you finally begin to slow your training and get ready for the BIG day.....wish we could all be there cheering you on. We will be there in spirit. Love ya'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was quite a weekend! I think we both had our moments of doubt out there but we both know we can do it and after a couple of weeks of rest we will both be good as new! I'd been having nightmares about riding that course in the rain, and during that 2nd loop I kept waiting for the tornado to come and spit me out somewhere over Lake Champlain. At least it's always an adventure when we go up there, right??

    ReplyDelete