Saturday, May 12, 2012

12, 9, 5, 85, 45...SO MANY NUMBERS

12...number of miles I was scheduled to run yesterday
9... number of miles I actually ran yesterday
5...number of hours I rode my bike today
85...number of miles I covered in those 5 hours
45...how many years old I turned today.

First an explanation for the run failure yesterday.  Within 20 secs of starting my left foot landed awkwardly and my ankle twisted VIOLENTLY to the outside.  It hurt so bad I honestly thought I was going to look down and see this
Oh Crap..that is supposed to be attached to my leg!!!
Thankfully that wasn't the case and my foot was still attached but OMG it hurt.  I walked for a few minutes and it felt better so I tried to run.  That was ok so I kept on running.  I felt great.  My heart rate was low, my pace was up, ankle was good..YIPPEE!  Then around 6.25 miles I started to get a pain in my right side.  It felt like someone was sticking a knife in there.  I couldn't take it anymore so I stopped and walked till the pain went away then started running again.  I made it 3/4 of a mile and the pain was back again.  Walk. Run. Pain. Repeat.  Did this till I got back home at 9 miles.  Thought I could stop for a few, have some water and see if I could finish out the run.  As I was standing around I realized how bad my ankle now felt so I made the smart decision to shut it down and call it quits.  I went upstairs and within 15 mins I was cleaned up and on the couch in my compression tights with my ankle elevated, ice on it popping ibuprofen like  they were M&M's.  Within 25 mins I was crying like a baby because my ankle was killing me, I was never going to be able to run again and my IM dream was over.  I wasn't kidding when I said the IM people really need to throw in some therapy sessions.  Cut to less than 24 hrs later after a good bike ride and I am fist-pumping like a member of the Jersey Shore cast and I am ready to high five anyone within 2 feet of me!!!  Ankle isn't 100% but I do think it will be ok tomorrow when I have to run 2 miles after a 2hr bike ride.

YEP..today is my birthday.  Those above numbers aren't bad for this old broad.  The thing about turning 45 is that I am now in a new age group for race ranking purposes.  While road races usually go by 10 year categories, triathlons are generally 5 year categories.  Now my blistering fast :) race times will be compared to all the other 45-49 year old females out there.  I would just once like to race against the 70-74 year olds because maybe then I would have a chance at winning or placing in my age group.
I think I can take this guy....he's 101!!!!
But alas I am stuck in one of the faster age groups out there and unfortuately all the people in it age at the same rate as me so I never get rid of them.  My only hope for scoring race bling at this point is to keep on competing until I am about 90 and all those other people get a nasty case of arthritis over the next decade or so so they can't run anymore!!!
Me getting ready for a race in 30 years!!!

OK I'm done. I need a nap so I have the energy to stuff the world's largest piece of chocolate bread pudding down my throat tonight at dinner because IT'S MY BIRTHDAY.  Stayed tuned for another blog tomorrow.  Gee...I wonder what that will be about?!

3 comments:

  1. Yea! I'm first this time....Happy Birthday, Dee. You keep getting better with age (I still can't believe I have nephews & nieces who are "Middle Age")!! Sorry about your ankle. I hope it's OK next time you run. And please have a bite of that chocolate bread pudding for me.....Love you, Mef

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your ankle feels better dee! And most importantly I am so glad that it is still attached to your leg! Hope you had a wonderful birthday and enjoyed your chocolate delight!.
    Love you
    Sissy jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh, I wish I had read this yesterday! And after all that, no bread pudding! I hope your ankle was ok today!!

    ReplyDelete