Sunday, March 25, 2012

WEEKS 11 & 12 AND SHEER RANDOMNESS

Two more weeks down in this journey.  As mentioned before, Week 11 was a well needed recovery week with a mere 9 hours of  training and then of course Week 12 came roaring in at 13+ hrs and a few pretty intense workouts.  Totals for the two week period were 6 hrs 45 min swimming, 10 1/2 hrs biking, 6 1/2 hrs running and 2 hrs 20 min strength training.  I got out on the bike again Monday after work with my friend Deb.  It was 60 degrees when we started and below 50 when we finished only an hr and a half later.  That cold front also came along with nasty winds that had me wishing I weighed 50 lbs more because I thought I was going to get blown off the bike.  I love my after work rides with Deb but traffic is horrendous and we can only go certain places so it only works for shorter rides. Not once but twice this week I was up at the crack of o'dark thirty to get long bike rides in.  Saturday called for a 3 hr ride.  I would have preferred to ride outside BUT I had swimming at 8:30 so I needed to be done by 7 so I had an hour to recover before heading to the pool.  You do the math. There were plenty of nasty intervals in that 3 hr ride and they were made even more difficult by the fact that the Penguins were not on!!!!!!!!!!  WTF.  Clearly Nickelodeon does not care that I need entertainment on the damn trainer.  I did watch in no particular order (all with the mute button on) an infomercial for some acne product that apparently turns gangly geeky teens into supermodels, the news, the Nanny (thank God for mute!!!!!) and some cartoon featuring a white dog who seems to spend a lot of time looking at his butt.
This dude seems to be very fond of his butt!!!!
Like I said before....don't judge me.  It is a matter of survival. Speaking of survival.... today's workout called for a 14 mile run.  14 miles is hard enough as it is but 14 miles in the cold rain is downright demoralizing.  Thankfully I met Kerry after 3 miles and she kept me company for the next 8 or so.  That helped pass the time.  Aside from just enjoying her company, running with Kerry makes me realize how much easier it is to  train for this kind of event when you don't have kids.  Kudos to her for getting her workouts in around sick kids, social events and life in general. You are a rockstar Kerry!!!!  I was so very happy when my Garmin turned over to 14 miles.  I looked and felt like a drowned rat when I got home.  After a shower it was on with the compression tights and on the couch with the heating pad.  Thank goodness I have a massage scheduled tomorrow.
Tired, soaked and ready for a hot shower!
In random news.....for those of you who don't know I had surgery on my right index finger in November.  Due to arthritis I developed a cyst which was putting pressure on a nerve and causing extreme pain.  It would swell like crazy after swimming and be very uncomfortable.  I have a high pain tolerance and I knew this was not going to work if I was going to attempt an IM so I had it removed.  I had to take two weeks off from swimming.  During the surgery the MD said I had an extensive amount of arthritis in that joint for someone my age and that he "scraped" it out.  OUCH. While the cyst and swelling went away for awhile the pain never did.  Over the past month the swelling has gotten much worse and the pain has been pretty bad.  I found out during my two rides outside that biking aggravates it also since you are constantly changing gears outside and that is the finger I change gears with.  It was so unbearable last weekend that I broke down and made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to see if there were non-surgical options to pain relief.  I simply can  NOT have surgery again right now because the last thing I need is to take off two weeks  from swimming again.  Since I changed health plans I couldn't even go back to the guy who did the first surgery.  Anyhow after an xray and checking out the swelling my new MD said that the cyst may very well be back but the pain is from the arthritis and the way to treat that is with a cortisone injection so he stuck a needle in my distal interphalangeal joint.  OUCH
The arrow is EXACTLY where the shot went. Would you expect anything less from an xray tech?
If these shots don't work my only other option is to have the joint fused together.  Of course that would have to wait until after the race.  SO at the ripe old age of 44 knocking on 45's door I am officially old.  I am getting injections for arthritis.  Actually what I really have is a condition called spraybutteritis.  It is a rare disease brought on by years of pumping a spray butter bottle.  You may think I am crazy but look at the facts.....I have this problem in only 1 joint in my entire body and it is the joint I use for the spray butter bottle.  Can't argue with the facts!!!!
You have done me so wrong!!
In one other note of sheer randomness....if  you read the comments left on my blogs you know Jacki is convinced she will be sliced up and murdered in her sleep while in Lake Placid.  She may be on to something and now I am worried because of this

As if I don't like swimming as it is, now I have to worry about this in the water...and by the way Jacki...I hear this monster thing kills people on land too!!!!!  Just sayin'

10 comments:

  1. Really dee-you are not helping matters with this latest tidbit of info. If only it were animals that I was worried about. Well animals of the human kind. Anyhow-pretty funny about the spraybuttteritis dee. It took me a minute to get it cause as you know I have always been a little slow on the uptake. I feel bad that you are still having trouble with your finger. I hope the cortisone works cause you aren't about to let that stupid finger get in your way. Put a gas rag on it dee and it will be ok! Getting old sucks dee-I'll let you know when I get there!

    Love
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacki thinks she will be murdered if she walks to D'Arcs after dusk. Sorry I haven't been following this as obsessively as I should. Just want to add that you are amazing (but I am sure you already knew that), and this blog is amazing as well. Quite snarky, hmmm, me wonders where that comes from. And for the record being almost 45 is not old, being the same age as our mother's is. And we live to fight another day!!!!

    Love ya much
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back into the fray Chris. So true about Jacki. She's special isn't she?! Is it really possible that we will actually be as old as our mothers some day?????

      Delete
  3. I totally thought she had a condition called spraybutteritis as well Jacki, so don't feel too bad!!! I was even trying to come up with a funny joke about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. but wait, why do you think you are going to be murdered??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince surely you realize after all these years that anytime Jacki crosses over the Windber town line she becomes convinced she is about to be murdered, kidnapped, hijacked or whatever. Don't ask why...just accept it and move on...we all have. Oh yeah...and don't forget to make fun of her about it:)

      Delete
  5. i hate to say this, but you girls ARE your mothers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't even know where to begin...Dee definately does have this condition and it is true...tooo many years of spraybuttering will get ya I knew it. I am still pretty sure we aren't gana get hacked to death but I promise we will be as vigilant as possible in warding of murderers if we see any. Yes Mef you have it correct we all are already definately some form of our mothers...God help us all. Dee I just can't imagine how these things come into your mind...Oh wait yes I can ...we are cut from the same cloth

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really should have some kind of warning label on those spray butter bottles! I hope that cortisone kicks in for you soon. I'll miss you this weekend. If I could get my sorry butt out of bed at 3:45 like you do, I could probably get my bike done Sat. But I'm pretty sure that's not happening. I'm going to be lazy and sleep in until 5am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally getting around to reading the blog and all the comments. I have to agree with Aunt Beth that you are all turning into your Mothers and that's not a bad thing considering all we've been
    through and how well we've turned out. I can just hear the negative comments about this...but we still love all of you. Deanne, you know how proud we all are of you and admire you for
    sticking with this awesome task. Keep up the good work!!

    Love ya.. Aunt Lorrie

    ReplyDelete